Friday, February 5, 2010

Funny Bollywood Actors

films with a comedy genre, what do you think of? For me, in Bollywood terms, comedy is the real silly, slap-stick ala Govinda – Johnny Lever – Kader Khan kind of films. I got to thinking of recent Bollywood films that have been classified as comedy, and I was surprised to see that there was a common plot that ran through the films I’m about to mention.

They all dealt with infidelity! The films usually revolve around men and their mistresses and, most of the time the comedy lies in the way they sneak around trying to see “the other woman”.
I found it particularly interesting, because our culture prides itself on the sanctity of marriage. And yet, in Bollywood, marriage is torn to pieces and extra-marital affairs are made fun of and regarded as being cute!

I have decided to list only the films that come to the top of my head, but the common theme is about the “fun” that men want to have outside of their marriages. I just wonder – what kind of message is being sent out to audiences? That it’s acceptable to explore other options if you’re bored in your marriage?

In Biwi No. 1, Salman is married to Karisma but when he hires Sushmita Sen as a model he falls in love with her, he leaves his wife for her.

In this film, Raveena Tandon and Anil Kapoor are married – but unable to have children. His father (played by Kader Khan) urges him to find another wife, but he doesn’t want to. When he goes to Nepal, he somehow finds himself being married to Rambha – who, (to cut a long story short) has his baby. Meanwhile, he’s still married to Raveena!

This story is about a bachelor (Salman Khan), who is in love with a model (Katrina Kaif). He doesn’t want the relationship to develop any further, so he tells her that he is already married. When Katrina insists on meeting his ‘wife’, he gets his nurse (Sushmita Sen) to act as his other half.

Comedy is what brought Akshay Kumar's acting skills to the fore, but his fans won't see him in too many funny films for now.

He says "Insan", his latest release, will be his last comic role for a while.

"I have another comedy, 'Phir Hera Pheri', coming up mid-year. But apart from that there's no comedy in 2005," Akshay told IANS.

"In my next release, 'Bewafaa' in February, I play a very serious, again a very different character. I'm the guy who loves and loses Kareena Kapoor. Working with Dharamesh Darshan again after 'Dhadkan' was such a pleasure. 'Dhadkan' was a turning point in my career. I feel 'Bewafaa' will do the same, not just for me but also Kareena."

Besides "Bewafaa", Akshay has a number of releases in 2005. "And I don't act funny in any of them.

"There's Suneel Darshan's 'Mere Jeevan Saathi' with one of my favourite co-stars, Karisma Kapoor; Vipul Shah's 'Waqt' with Bachchan and Priyanka Chopra; and Raj Santoshi's 'Family', again with Bachchan. I've also said yes to Sajid Nadiadwala's next with Salman Khan to be directed by Shirish Kunder.

"But this time, Salman and I aren't doing any of the funny stuff. It'll be a serious love triangle. So you see this year is no laughing matter for me."

The most serious happening in Akshay's career is a film with West Bengal's most happening director, Rituparno Ghosh.

"Yes, Ritu and I have met for a movie. We're trying to come up with a script both of us will be happy with. Years ago he had come to me with an offer. But I wasn't ready for his kind of cinema then.

"Today I want to work with directors like Rituparno. I'd give anything to work with Sanjay Leela Bhansali. Every time I see the promos of 'Black', I wish I were in it."

"Insan", his first release for the year, has just opened to terrible reviews. But he has emerged unscathed from the criticism.

Everyone unanimously agrees that he carries "Insan" on his shoulder. "Please don't say such things. I'm not used to critical praise. My heart may not be able to take it," Akshay says.

Then sobering down, he observes: "Earlier, such things were said only about Amitabh Bachchan. When I'm told this, I feel like rubbing my ears!

"Until a few years ago, I always said I couldn't be a bad actor because I wasn't an actor in the first place, ha ha! Now I'm suddenly getting nominated for awards and all. Never mind if it's in the comic and supporting categories," he says, drawing attention to his best supporting actor nomination for "Mujhse Shaadi Karogi".

Is he really a supporting actor in the film? "Search me. I was signed for the lead. Thought I played one," Akshay chuckles.

Currently he's holidaying in Goa with his wife, son and mother. "I agree I was the funny man in 'Khakee' and 'Mujhse Shaadi Karogi'. In 'Insan', I play a character with a political message for the first time.

"I think it's very important to do what you believe in. Whether it's a time-pass entertainer like 'Mujhse Shaadi Karogi' or a film with a socio-political message like 'Ab Tumhare Hawale Watan Saathiyon' or 'Insan', you should work with your heart in it. That's what I've done.

"In 'Insan', I've all the comic scenes. But I also get to make the point that the Muslims must not feel isolated in our country, that they're very much part of our society. Sure the message is put across bluntly. I'm sure 'Insan' will go down well with the masses. It's what I'd call a single-theatre film. The multiplexes are becoming overcrowded these days," he says tongue firmly in cheek.


Main bapu ka bhi ‘guru’ hoon:
Abhishek Bachchan


Bapu Chacha:
Ajay Devgan




But I thought I was playing Bapu ka beta? Akshaye Khanna


My experiments with Dhoom:
John Abraham


Q…Q…Q…quit India: Shah Rukh Khan


Bapu Chacha:
Ajay Devgan


From Fight club to gandhi club:
Dino Morea


Nawab nahi, ‘bar’rister Kaho: Saif


Rangeela bapu:
Aamir Khan


Pyare ‘mohan’:
Viveik Oberoi


Hum gandhi ban chuke sanam:
Salman Khan


Forget khakee, i love khadi :
Akshay Kumar


Balwaan bapu:
Sunil Shetty




No comments:

Post a Comment